Also known as ATX-101, Kybella is an injectable treatment that reduces the appearance of the “double chin” by targeting and removing fat in the treated area. Kybella is FDA approved for the removal of fat under the chin. Previously, the only way to achieve such a result was using a surgical procedure such as liposuction.
When injected into the treatment area, Kybella begins breaking down fat cells which gradually dissolve and are naturally removed from the body. The active component in Kybella is deoxycholic acid.
Candidate for Kybella
- Hawaii patients with an undesired amount of fat under the chin that can result in the appearance of a “double chin”
- Patients with a minimal amount of submental fat
- Patients seeking an improved overall aesthetic to their face, especially to the chin, without undergoing a surgical procedure
Did you know?
- To our knowledge, S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS is the only plastic surgeon who has been on the cover of Runner’s World in the Boston Marathon.
- S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS graduated from the US Army Artillery Officer Candidate School.
Approved by the FDA for use in May 2015, Kybella has been proven to be a viable treatment for removing fat under the chin in patients that are good candidates. Not all patients with a double chin can be completely or sufficiently treated using Kybella. These patients, such as those with loose, sagging skin under the chin, may elect another treatment.
*Each patient is unique and individual results may vary.
How Kybella is Administered
After the treatment area is properly cleaned and sanitized, Kybella is expertly injected into the area beneath the chin. The treatment takes a mere 15 minutes. The deoxycholic acid in Kybella permanently destroys the fat cells, resulting in an improved aesthetic that will last as long as there are no adverse lifestyle changes that cause the remaining fat cells to expand.
After having the treatment administered, some Hawaii Kybella patients experience temporary bruising or numbness. These side effects are always temporary and our patients are able to return to their normal daily activities the same day. S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS will discuss all possible results and side effects at your consultation.
Dr Schlesinger is wonderful. He is very friendly and efficient in helping me as a patient. I have recently recommended two of my friends to him and they are now patients of Dr Schlesinger and has done a great job!