The Brazilian butt lift is a procedure designed to enhance the appearance of the buttocks by transferring fat from one part of the body to another. Excess fat is strategically removed to improve the appearance of the area, and the buttocks are sculpted for a better overall appearance. While Brazilian butt lift surgery is the most widely known of the buttock procedures, Dr. Schlesinger is experienced in and offers several techniques that can help you achieve a fuller, rounder, and more aesthetically pleasing buttocks, including liposuction contouring and lower body lifting techniques.
I recently had a posterior body lift and BBL done and I am so pleased with my results. From the consultation to the operation and to all the post ops, he was so caring and informative. His staff were also so amazing. They all work together as a team to make sure things go smoothly in all your appointments—from RealSelf. Read more RealSelf patient reviews »
Am I a Candidate for the Brazilian Butt Lift?
A personal consultation with S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS will determine if you are a good fit for the procedure, but here are some basic guidelines:
- Healthy supply of blood to the buttocks
- Excess body fat in another area of the body
- Good overall shape
- Good understanding of the risks and benefits
The Brazilian Butt Lift Procedure
S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS will start the procedure by administering liposuction to harvest the fat cells that will be used to improve the appeal of the buttocks. The liposuction is traditional liposuction and will therefore provide an aesthetic improvement to this area as well. The harvested fat cells will be treated to ensure they are healthy and safe before inserting them into the buttocks. Dr. Schlesinger will then strategically inject the fat cells in small amounts to provide the best aesthetic result possible. Expertly injected fat cells are crucial for the success of a Brazilian butt lift.
What makes us different than other plastic surgeons is we do several ancillary treatments to increase the chance of a great and long lasting Brazilian butt lift with very little loss of transplanted cells.
- We use Accolate to decrease the inflammatory destruction of newly transplanted fat cells
- We use ultrasound to bring blood supply to the area which increases the oxygenation of tissues leading to early vasularization of fat cells, therefore fewer fat cells lost
- We use DMSO which opens redundant blood vessels necessary for transplant survival.
To achieve the best possible result, the transplanted fat cells must be cared for after the procedure to prevent any unnecessary trauma or pressure. A recovery period of about six weeks of limited physical activity is required after a Brazilian butt lift. Good candidates for the procedure will have the ability to avoid sitting on the treated area for the entirety of the recovery process.
Brazilian butt lift surgery and your safety
Your safety is our #1 priority. While Dr. Schlesinger has performed thousands of Brazilian butt lift procedures without adverse events and with excellent patient outcomes, recent research has shown that there are risks unique to buttock fat grafting, which you should be aware of before choosing to have a procedure.
It is crucial that fat only be added to the existing fat layer. If injected too deeply (into the muscle), there is a small chance that fat particles could get into the bloodstream and travel to the heart or lungs, which can be dangerous and potentially fatal. This risk is low, and you can reduce it even further by choosing an experienced plastic surgeon with proven expertise in buttock fat grafting, such as Dr. Schlesinger. However, no surgeon can entirely eliminate this risk.
If you are considering Brazilian butt lift surgery, Dr. Schlesinger would rather you choose an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon who will put your safety first than a less qualified doctor who may ignore the risks and jeopardize your safety. At your consultation, he will discuss with you the risks and benefits of the procedure, as well as alternatives to fat grafting that may also achieve the beautiful buttock contour that you desire. These may include:
- Liposuction contouring. For many patients, a lack of shape and definition in the buttocks can be corrected by removing excess fat from the surrounding areas such as the lower back, hips, inner and outer thighs, and under the butt cheeks. This is similar to the concept of sculpting a statue out of a block of stone—the buttocks is shaped and enhanced by sculpting away the excess tissue.
- Lower body lift. If you have sagging skin and tissues int eh lower body, Dr. Schlesinger can remove the excess skin and raise the remaining tissues in the buttock and upper thighs to achieve a smoother, firmer and shapelier backside. Liposuction can enhance the results by refining the “frame” around the newly lifted buttocks.
How much does butt lift surgery cost in Hawaii?
Costs for a Brazilian butt lift with Dr. Schlesinger range from $11,000 to $14,000.
This includes surgeon’s fees, operating room and lab costs, post-op materials, and laser scar revision, tattooing and/or touch-ups, should they be necessary (most plastic surgeons do not include touch-ups as part of their fee). Anesthesia fees, medication, and travel costs are not included.RealSelf Q&A with S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS